Wednesday, January 19, 2011

I Am The Prisoner's Daughter

It's been a long 6 years, 11 months & 14 days since that horrible day when my mom was arrested. I can still remember it like it was yesterday. That day officially became the worst day of my life.

After 3 years of fighting 3 seperate cases, 2 hung jurys, 2 public defenders, 2 private attorneys, 5 judges and 4 district attorneys, she finally took a deal. I begged her to keep fighting, but 3 years in the county jail were just too unbearable. All she kept speaking of was grass, butterfiles, fresh air and outside. I had to try to understand. It was time for her to move on.

I am her 40 year old daughter who has never even been in handcuffs, let alone been arrested. She is my mother, a woman who prided herself on raising me right and making sure I know that I am entitled to the the best life has to offer... always. But, she is human. She made a mistake. And as she would do for me, I must stand by her.

It's been hard living my life out here in the world without my mother. She is the strongest woman I know. I have always been able to count on her. But, I must thank God that he put her in jail instead of letting her addiction cause her death. My mother is alive. And for that, I am grateful.

My mother may be a prison inmate, but I will never let her go through this alone. She is my mother. I am her daughter. Together, we will survive this and have great stories to tell.

Love,
The Prisoner's Daughter
prisonersdaughter@gmail.com

2 comments:

Slum full circle said...

I don't know you, however I would like to tell you how proud of you I am. True love is unconditional, and you help renew my faith that there are warm hearted people out there. I cannot imagine how hard this has to be for both you and your mother. After reading "Orange is the New Black" by Piper Kerman I have a better understanding of how much it truly means to have someone on the "outside" to help them get through a sentence. Thank you for not giving up on your mother. God bless both of you.

The Prisoner's Daughter said...

@GlitterKitty74 Thank you so much for your motivational comment. I just joined a new network you may be interested in. http://prisonrideshare.ning.com

Post a Comment